Friday 30 March 2012

More Than Flesh


A beautiful young woman
Swaying to the beat
Moving like a snake
Hypnotized by the drum
Her waist has a mind of its own
Covered, but uncovered
Burning hot in every color she puts on
Turning hearts and pulling eyes to every curve
Arrows unleashed, landing on her skin
Her long black hair
Her wide, wild eyes
She's the woman of your fantasy

I'm the opposite of ignorant
My spirit turns hearts
My body is covered, my mind is not
I don't dance, I run
Books and words hypnotize me
I burn to brighten the world
My long black hair
My wide, wild eyes
I'm not your fantasy

I am a daughter, sister, mother
I am a scholar, teacher, writer
I'm the roots of olive trees
And the wind rustling through their leaves

2 comments:

  1. u know that i loved it mn lma 7kina on facebook! but i feel now that if u didn't add the last stanza or if it was different, it would be stronger! it's like you are denying the sexuality of a woman and minimize it to one aspect! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dinaaaaaaaa I love your poems soooooo much they are always so strong with rich images...... I loooooooooooooooved the second stanza!! great job keep it up ;)

    ReplyDelete